Wednesday 25 April 2012

First ducklings of 2012

Just a couple of days after the first moorhen chicks were hatched we had our first ducklings. I was looking for the moorhen chicks when an oddly coloured one appeared and it took me a few seconds to realise it was in fact a single duckling with no sign of adults or other chicks. A couple of hours later I spotted the whole brood who had now hatched although I didn't get a precise count. There were certainly at least half a dozen. Later however the crows and some sparrowhawks seemed to be taking a lot of interest and it's possible she lost a few. Whatever the reason she seems to have decamped with them to somewhere else as I haven't seen them around in the last day or so. I am sure there will be further broods to come. The good news is we have had some proper rain today at last. Let's hope this weather continues for a while until the moat is back to its proper water levels.

No comments: