Thursday 1 January 2009

Goshawkor Sparrowhawk?

A friend who lives a few hundred metres away has had a Goshawk in the field next to their house and has seen it taking pigeons. I have often seen Sparrowhawks in the village and have seen one at close quarters eating a pigeon it had killed. I also reported on a 'Sparrowhawk' that took a pigeon from the lawn here in September 2007. I only caught a fleeting glance of the kill and I am now wondering whether it could have been a Goshawk. I have also come across a couple of piles of pigeon feathers (see blog August 2008), which I again thought might be from a Sparrowhawk kill, but again it is conceivable they could be from a Goshawk. Alternatively something else could have taken the pigeon such as a fox. The only point here is that the feathers have been in rough piles whereas when I used to come across pigeons that I knew had been taken by Sparrowhawks, the feathers were in more of a doughnut pattern. All in all I am out of my depth on this one and need some more evidence.........

No comments: