Monday 26 January 2009

Great Garden Birdwatch 2009

The January 2009 birdwatch recorded 14 species (cf 2008 - 10 species, 2007 - 11 species). Three species -Greenfinch, Blue Tit and Great Tit- made an entrance together just two minutes before the end of the watch. Once again mallards made their first entrance of the year on Garden Birdwatch day. I also recorded moorhens, crows, rooks, magpies, blackbirds, wrens, wood pigeons, collared doves, starlings and chaffinches.
The next morning I glanced out the window and I could see robins, dunnocks, goldfinches and a pheasant but too late to be counted.
The Garden Watch is a brilliant scheme which is valuable both scientifically, from a communications perspective and in just involving people in birdwatching. The thing that it brings home to me is the lack of sparrows. I haven't recorded any in the last three years.

No comments: