Tuesday 28 July 2009

Wild Flowers


I find that flower identification is a lot easier than fungi or even insects. At least you can hold the speciment in your hands and measure stuff and get the hand lens on the smaller bits. Today I was identifying a flower from the daisy family I didn't recognise, though it turned out to be a very common flower - Yarrow (also known as Milfoil). I was also sorting out which of the Mayweeds/Chamomiles I had growing in the field and I established that both Scentless Mayweed and Scented Mayweed are present. I find the 'Wild Flowers' book by Blamey, Fitter and Fitter invaluable in the final diagnosis. However I also use Phillips which gives photographs arranged chronologically based on flowering time, and Keble Martin which groups flowers by colour and form useful to get an initial lead. The pictured flower is Yarrow (Achillea millefolium).

No comments: