Saturday 24 April 2010

Best Sighting of Grass Snake

I see grass snakes every few months outside winter but it is usually a fleeting glimpse. There was one swimming in the moat a couple of days ago as an example. Today I came up very close to one. I was in my boat clearing some vegetation from the moat when I saw one a few yards away swimming across the moat in their 'I'm in a rush' stylee head out of the water and pushing themselves in a straight line. I moved gently to where it would have made landfall and there it was coiled around a pieces of wood by the bank, head out of the water and regarding me with some suspicion. We looked at each other for a few seconds from about three feet distance then it uncoiled itself sliding under the surface and away. I would estimate it at about two feet long.

No comments: