Tuesday 6 April 2010

It's spring


Spring has definitely arrived and the frogs are spawning. They have eschewed one place they normally spawn and I assume this is because the water in the moat is higher than it usually is at this time of year. This has led to higher concentrations in the other spawning location - see the pile of frogs in the picture above.

The pied wagtails have also been back - a pair was displaying what I assume is breeding season behaviour. Each was fluttering up from the ground in an extravagant flight display, just for a few seconds. I only seem to see the pied wagtails on the ground in late winter or early spring. Whether they nest on site I don't know, but I will keep an eye out.

The mallarsd are also around with between three and six drakes on site on a number of ocassions recently. I saw a female mallard yesterday but once they have a nesting site you don't see much of them until the ducklings have hatched so I hope there is a brood on the way somewhere.

No comments: