Monday 3 May 2010

Duckling drama


There was a duck with just two ducklings on the moat today. I was wondering whether this is the remains of the nine ducklings that were born a few days ago and taken away up the stream by the mother. Certainly the ducklings seem fairly disobedient paying the ducks commands little mind. I am always amazed at how different broods are and mothers are in the mallard world. Anyway I was watching them when dramatically a heron appeared and started circling and I wondered whether it was after the ducklings. Before I had time to get too concerned one of the resident crows attacked the heron and chased it away. The crow almost made contact a couple of times and the slow pace of the heron's wingbeats made the scene exciting as the crow accelerated towards it at high speed. Those crows fear nothing and will chase buzzards and whole gangs of rooks or jackdaws without a second thought.

No comments: