Thursday 30 September 2010

Meadow flora


My attempt at recording flower species in the meadow was partially successful. I did record 21 species of flower but I also recognise that there were a number I didn't get round to positively identifying so there is still some scope for increasing this list significantly next year. I also identified three species of grass and this is definitely only a partial record. I find grasses quite challenging to id but I have a new book by Francis Rose that is going to help me expand that list next time round. For the record the 21 species of flower are White Dead Nettle, Garlic Mustard, Meadow Buttercup, Ribwort Plantain, Cow Parsley, Common Sorrel, Stinging Nettle, Scented Mayweed, Broad-leaved Dock, Red Clover, Self Heal, Common Knapweed, Common Mouse-ear, White Clover, Ox-eye Daisy, Yarrow, Common Ragwort, Creeping Thistle, Scentless Mayweed, Bird's Foot Trefoil and Greater Plantain. The three grasses I identified were Cocksfoot, Timothy and Perrenial Rye Grass. The picture is of a patch of Scented Mayweed - one of the commoner flowers in the meadow..

No comments: