Saturday 9 October 2010

Grass snake picture at last


Although I see grass snakes reasonably regularly I have never managed to get a photograph (apart from one effort that was so blurred the snake looked like a twig). I was thinking the other day that I hadn't had a sighting recently but yesterday I had two excellent sightings. The first was in the moat where I normally see them but the second one was half way between the compost heap and the moat. Given that I have put a lot of effort into building a giant compost heap for the snakes to breed and hibernate in, I will take this as evidence that they are aware of it and will be using it shortly. At my approach the snake stopped and that gave me an opportunity to get a picture albeit with an unsuitable lens in gloomy conditions.

No comments: