Saturday 23 October 2010

2-Spot Ladybird - black form


I see a fair number of 2-spot ladybirds and have done for years. Today however was the first time I have seen the 'black' form. I have no idea how common the black form is overall but based on the last six years it is remarkably uncommon on this site.

It has been a good year for the 2-spot and the 7-spot ladybird this year. It was also OK last year but in 2008 they were less common. The only other species I have seen this year is the 14-spot and the Harlequin. In 2005 I saw the 2,7 and 14-spot and in addition the Orange Ladybird and the Eyed Ladybird. I am not sure whether their apparent absence since 2005 is natural variation in the populations, just chance as regards observation or some kind of effect of the invasive Harlequin Ladybird.

No comments: